Monday, July 14, 2014

“My Favorite INSULT…”
One of the most amusing insults I have ever been given is:
“You think you are better than everyone…”
In the past I either dismissed this or went on the defensive by saying, “No, I don’t…”
However, wisdom has taught me to remain silent and really listen to what is being said. I have learned to craft a clever, personal reply to this. It is:
“No…first of all…you don’t know my thoughts because I have never shared them with you. So…this has to reflect YOUR thoughts about me. And for the record…I don’t think I am better than anyone else. I may just want better for my life and am willing to work harder for it than most.”
The Bible guides us:
Matthew 5:11 (NIV): “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.”
1 Corinthians 15:33 (NIV): “Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”
Proverbs 13:20 (NIV): “Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm.”
Luke 6:27-28 (NIV): “…Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.”
Romans 12:17-18 (NIV): “Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.”
In an article titled “How to Determine Why Someone Is Treating You Poorly,” more insight is given toward this:
Note how they act around you. Some of the possible signs might include: gossiping about you to others, ignoring you, saying hurtful things to you, breaking or stealing your stuff, belittling you, setting you up to get into trouble for something you didn't do or say, calling you names, implying that you're not as clever/good-looking/well-connected/valuable, etc. as them, intimidating you, leaving unfriendly/unkind messages about you on social networking sites, or breaking promises they swore they'd meet.
Ask yourself. Why do you need validation from them? Do you need them so much that you would have to supplicate them to make yourself better? It’s fine if they don't like you, who cares? Remember you are being insecure & needy if you care.
Move on. Remember that there's no point in dwelling in the past. Get on with your life and activities, surround yourself by people who aren't mean to you, and focus on what matters to you.
Quotes to Consider:
“What you say about other people says a lot about YOU.” – unknown
 “Listen carefully to how a person speaks about other people to you. This is how they will speak about you to other people.” – unknown
“People will always talk about you, especially when they envy you and the life you live. Let them. You affected their lives, they didn’t affect yours.” – unknown
“You talk a good game, but I’m watching how you play.” – unknown
 “Fact: Haters don’t really hate you. In fact, they hate themselves because you are a reflection of what they wish to be.” - unknown
However, one of the most profound words of wisdom for me is from Will Smith: “Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings, and emotions.”
The thing that I do know with certainty is:   I am a child of God. HE created me for a specific purpose. I will live my life in such a way that is pleasing to HIM, and strive every day to spend eternity with HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment