Monday, July 21, 2014

Praising God: "Off-Key" or Not

Facebook has a thing on it called GOSPEL CHALLENGE. It challenges people to post a brief song of praise. This challenge is extended to those who are known to have a beautiful singing voice.

I even encouraged a few people I know to take the challenge. I immediately discounted myself as having only “a decent singing voice that could hold a tune…that’s it.”

It led me to reflect on this. Once again, I realize the cunning ways of Satan. The Lord told us to praise him. Satan has allowed us to believe this mandate is only for those who, by the world’s standards, have a beautiful voice.

There are TV Shows like American Idol; The Voice; Sunday Best; & Rising Star that judge you as to whether you can sing or not. In actuality, it is based on whether others find your singing “pleasing to their ears” and is marketable.

Amazing how we allow the world to judge us and keep us from obeying God.
God doesn’t hear whether you were “in-tune” or sang in key. He wants to see our obedience.

Thus, someone with the most beautiful voice can be dismissed from God rather than some we judge as “out of tune” as obediently praising Him with a pure, sincere heart.

I have often said that people like Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston sadly did not realize their gift of singing. When in actuality, their true gift was the gift of inspiring others through music. Amazing how this “gift” can be used to lead others to Christ…if used with the right heart & spirit.

The Bible says:
Psalm 100:1 (KJV): “Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.”
Psalm 96:1King (KJV): “O sing unto the Lord a new song: sing unto the Lord, all the earth.”
Psalm 149:1(KJV): “Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.”
Psalm 104:33 (NKJV): “I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.”
Psalm 28:7 (NKJV): “The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song I will praise Him.”
Psalm 96:1 (NKJV): “Oh, sing to the Lord a new song! Sing to the Lord, all the earth.”
Psalm 96:2 (NKJV): “Sing to the Lord, bless His name; Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day.”

Bottom-line: The world does not have a heaven or hell to put you in. Their judgment of you will mean nothing on Judgment Day when we face our Heavenly Father. It might be wise if we focused on being obedient & praising Him – off-key voice or not…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment