Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Daily Gratitude
Gratitude is “a feeling of appreciation or thanks.”
I did an exercise prior to my 50th Birthday (on May 18th). I began on May 1st and called it 18 Days of Gratitude. Every day, for 18 days, I had to post (on Facebook) something or someone whom I was grateful.  It was a very humbling, thought-provoking exercise.
We live in a society where gratitude is something “we just don’t have time for.”
We get up in the morning, go to work, come home, eat dinner, go to bed…and repeat it over again. We do this assuming it was just supposed to happen. We accumulate material things, earn wealth, enjoy great health, and fulfill accomplishments…all as if we did it all on our own.
The words “Thank You” have become obsolete.
The opposite also occurs. I personally have always been a “giver.” However, being in a position of needing to “receive” is difficult. I find myself dismissing the kindness or minimizing it. I often say things like: “You spent too much money on me…” or “You shouldn’t have gone to so much trouble…” I am learning to just say “Thank You,” and be grateful. I am learning that, when I deny someone the ability to be a blessing to me, I deem myself unworthy and may also be blocking the blessings that are going to come their way.
The Bible tells us to give thanks often. Several of these include:
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NKJV): “in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. “
Psalm 107:8 (NKJV): “Oh,  that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, And for His wonderful works to the children of men!”
Colossians 1:3 (NKJV): “We give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,”
1 Corinthians 15:57 (NKJV): “ But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”       
Quotes to Reflect On:
If the only prayer you said in your whole life is “Thank You”, that would suffice. – Meister Eckhart
God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds a day. Have you used one to say “thank you?“ – unknown
“I am thankful for today.” - unknown
“Life is full of give & take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted.” - unknown
“Be thankful for what you have, you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
“Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” – unknown
A simple but powerful beginning could be to begin each morning by saying: “Thank You, Lord for waking me up this morning. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. “
We should all strive to give & receive gratitude every day…

No comments:

Post a Comment