Monday, July 7, 2014

“Suck It Up, Buttercup…”
When I see this quote on Pinterest, it is primarily used as a motivation for people to work out, work through the pain and fatigue, and to never quit.
Phrases relating to this include:
“Just stick with it…what seems hard now will one day be your warm up.”
“Sweat Dries. Blood Clots. Bones Heal. Suck it up, Buttercup.”
“Quit making excuses, putting it off, complaining about it, dreaming about it, whining about it, crying about it, believing you can't, worrying if you can, waiting until you're older, skinnier, richer, braver, or all around better. Suck it up, hold on tight, say a prayer, make a plan & JUST DO IT!” – NIKE ad
 “Suck It Up and one day you won’t have to Suck It In.”
The phrase “suck it up” is defined in the Urban Dictionary as: To endure a period of mental, physical, or emotional hardship with no complaining. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=suck+it+up  It appears that the word “buttercup” was added because it rhymes and implies for one to discontinue acting as fragile as a flower.
Quotes from this perspective include:
“Suck it up, Butter cup. Stop playing the victim.”
“Suck it up, and stop your whining.”
“Put your big girl panties and deal with it.”
 “The Pity Train…has just derailed at the corner of Suck It Up & Move On; and crashed into We All Have Problems; and come to a screeching halt at Get Over It.”
When I read this quote, I immediately disliked it. However, I am now not only receiving a full dose of it, I am finding that I have to say it to myself: 
…when I feel discouraged.
…when I feel too drained of energy.
…when I ache all over.
…when my mobility is most challenging.
…when people intentionally & unintentionally “hurt my feelings.”
…when my body will not do what my mind tells it to.
…when people are harsh, insensitive, and unempathetic.
When I say this to myself, I have an interesting image that appears in my mind:
It’s like the lieutenant of my military command saying to me during the heat of a tumultuous battle:
“I know it is tough, Soldier!!!
Yes, you have gotten some cuts and bruises.
Yes, you are hurting emotionally & physically.
Yes, even Satan is working you over spiritually."
However, the battle is not over.
VICTORY is through the rough terrain; amidst gunfire, dust, & smoke; over that mountain; across that lake; and through the brush.
Salvation is there.  Healing is there. Eternal Peace is there.
The Bible even tells us this in:
Hebrews 12:1 (NKJV): “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,”
Ecclesiastes 9:11 (NKJV): “…The race is not to the swift, Nor the battle to the strong, Nor bread to the wise, Nor riches to men of understanding, Nor favor to men of skill; But time and chance happen to them all.”
So, Suck it up Buttercup, you got this… keep on moving…”

No comments:

Post a Comment