Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Settling for Mediocrity
I woke up at 3:05 a.m., abruptly and in disdain. Reality hit me hard. I quietly whispered to myself, “You are settling for mediocrity.”
Mediocrity is defined as “the quality of something that is not very good; moderate ability or value.”http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mediocrity
I realized that I needed to “raise my own expectations” for my life. Many of us are taught to set goals or have dreams.
Many of us do, but don’t act on them. I realized that most of my adult life has been defined by my settling.
“A dream without a plan is just a wish.” – unknown
Cases in Point:
High School: Instead of striving for #1, Valedictorian, I settled for #7.
College: Instead of pursuing my passion to be a Physician, I settled for an average GPA and a general Business Administration degree.
First Job: As a Sales Executive, and although I am naturally competitive, I settled for being one of the top quota-earning salespersons, instead of being Top Salesperson of the Year.
Church:  Instead of being a vibrant, active, roll-your-sleeves-up servant, I have now allowed my current health challenges to have me settle as a beloved, pew-occupying member.
Health: Instead of rising up to be a Thriver & Overcomer, I am settling for “just managing."
Writing:  Instead of New York Times Best-Selling Author, I am settling on hiding behind blogging & Facebook posts.

I MUST “raise my own expectations.” This will unconsciously inspire other people to do the same.
I must see myself as I want to be – better yet, AS GOD SEES ME - not as I currently am.
I must set the bar of where I want to be much higher than my mind can imagine. That’s what faith in God is all about…
Even spiritually, our bars are raised too low.
We should all strive daily:
Matthew 25:21 (NKJV): “His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ “
Hebrews 12:1-3 (NKJV): “…let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls.”
2 Timothy 4:6-8 (NKJV): “...I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.”
We SAY we want to go to Heaven…yet we are comfortable with our complacent, self-pleasing, All-About-Me existence here on Earth.
Have you raised your own expectations?  Are you settling??? 


No comments:

Post a Comment