Saturday, June 7, 2014

“I Said What I Meant and Meant What I Said…”
I recall my Dad saying this to my siblings and me when we persistently tried to get his approval of something he had already said “no” to. With my skill of persuasion, I would counter his “no” with very thought-out, clever rebuttals. With a firm look of finality, he would say “I said what I meant and meant what I said…”
Many of us, including myself, can be guilty of hearing what we WANT to hear instead of what is actually said.
“When people show you (tell you) who they are, believe them the first time.” – Maya Angelou
People (especially MEN) generally mean exactly what they say.
Example:
Man: “I’m not ready to get married.”
Woman: (through her filter, she hears: “Oh, he just means that he is nervous right now…”)
NO!  He meant what he said.
Women tend to be more vulnerable when it comes to hearing what we WANT to hear.
“Women marry men believing they can change them;
Men marry women believing they will never change.” - unknown
 The Scriptures clarify this in Matthew 5:37 (NKJV): “ But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.”
 Quotes to Remember:
“I’d rather be devastated by the truth than mesmerized with a lie.” – Janette McGowen
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel, Because Those Who Mind Don’t Matter and Those Who Matter Don’t Mind.” – Dr. Seuss
We could minimize a lot of frustration if we would also “say what we mean and mean what we say.” An example would be to tell someone that you like chocolate ice cream, when you actually prefer vanilla. Oftentimes, we are afraid to disappoint someone by our honesty.  However, others will take you for your word, and then find themselves confused with your disapproval.  Note To Self: “Stop expecting others to read your mind.”

This is also played out in law-enforcement, when it comes to sexual assault. “No Means No” is applied in instances where the victim says “no” to sexual advances period. The past exceptions were if she dressed promiscuously; failed to scream, struggle, or try to escape. http://www.westcoastleaf.org/index.php?pageID=36

The Lord is “crystal clear” in his plans for us. In Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV): “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

HE says what he means and means what HE says.” Shouldn’t we?


No comments:

Post a Comment