Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Blessing or Lesson ???      
As I was reviewing my resume, I was reflecting on work colleagues I had at each one of my previous jobs who made a positive impact on my career and my life.

Unfortunately, a few were not very favorable. Then I remembered the quote: “Everyone who comes into your life is either a blessing or a lesson.”  - unknown

It also gave me pause to realize that I ONLY remembered the names of those who made an impression in my life.

I remembered one former colleague specifically at one of the earliest jobs in my career. He and I were close. He “got me” and gave me optimism, acceptance, & encouragement while we worked together. Our lives have moved in different directions. We have been out of touch for almost 20 years.  However, I was curious to know how he was. I found him on LinkedIn. I wasn’t sure he even remembered me. He was thrilled to reconnect!  I was humbled that he remembered me so fondly. I was so privileged to be able to tell him how much I appreciated him.

I also remember those who mistreated me. Now that I am wiser, I can cut through the hurt feelings, the betrayal, and devastation.  I can clearly see the lesson in each of those situations. When people come into your life who are evil towards you, it’s usually not about you. It is about them. Our first impulse is to seek revenge and karma. This will not work. The Lord has stated in Romans 12:19 (NKJV): Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.  

We may try to state our case on Judgment Day: “Lord, didn’t you see what John Doe did to me!” The Lord may respond: “Of course I did, my child. I see & hear everything. I will deal with John Doe when he has to face me. I am dealing with YOU right now. I want to know how YOU dealt with John Doe.”

I am constantly humbled by these words: “When someone mistreats you, without forgiveness, you become them.”

The challenge is to strive to live your life so that people who have crossed or will cross your path consider you a blessing to savor and not a lesson to have learned.  It could be as deep as a friend, relative or work colleague, or as causal as in an elevator, a waiting room, or in a check-out line. It is my prayer that people will remember me & my name with a warm smile and fond memories of our encounter, regardless of how long or brief it may be.

As the years go by, you may not remember every person whose path you have crossed. The humbling thing is that they remember you.

“People will forget what you said; People will forget what you did; but People will never forget how you made them feel.” – Dr. Maya Angelou

Are you someone’s blessing or lesson?

No comments:

Post a Comment