Monday, September 22, 2014

“Pearls before Swine…”

Matthew 7:6 (NKJV): “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.”
"Pearls before swine" and "casting pearls" refer to a quotation from Matthew 7:6 in Jesus's Sermon on the Mount, implying that one should not put what is valuable in front of those who will reject the notion that it has value and furthermore that they will seek to diminish or destroy what one offers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearls_before_swine

This rings true on so many levels. I realize that I have been guilty of presenting my “best self”, i.e., my love, my loyalty, my sincerity, my commitment, my time and my everything…to people, events and circumstances that not only did not value me, but rejected the notion that I had any value.

This is often expressed in obvious and subtle ways. I have experienced people devaluing my blogs, my writing and even my published book to my face and behind my back.  It can also present itself in the form of devaluing your opinion, your point-of-view or perspective. Many also dismiss you, ignore you and minimize your worth.

“…Do not throw your pearls before swine” (Matthew 7:6, NAS). "Do you realize you have treasure on the inside of you? You could say that your pearls are what God has given you to be a blessing to the world around you—your gifts, talents and abilities. When you get around true friends, people who really believe in you, they won’t be jealous of your gifts. They won’t constantly question who you are. They won’t try to talk you out of your dreams.“  - Robin 'Foster' Steen (via Pinterest)

We have to understand that each and every one of us was created by God for a specific purpose. God is not pleased when we don’t value His creation (you) enough to not allow it to be dishonored and disrespected.

The Bible says:
1 Corinthians 6:20 (NKJV): For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body[a] and in your spirit, which are God’s.
Philippians 1:6 (NKJV): being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;
1 Peter 2:9 (NIV): But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
Ephesians 2:10 (NIV): For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Psalm 139:14 (NKJV):  I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.
Song of Songs 4:7 (NIV): You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you.

Memorable Quotes:
 “If you are giving your all to someone and it’s not enough, you are giving it to the wrong person. “ – unknown
“You cannot change the people around you, but you can change the people you choose to be around.” – unknown
“When you say ‘Yes’ to others, make sure you are not saying ‘No’ to yourself.” - Paulo Coelho
“Never waste yourself trying to explain yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.” - unknown
 “There comes a time when you have to stop crossing oceans for people who wouldn’t jump puddles for you.” - unknown
“Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.” – John F. Kennedy

Let’s all strive to maintain our “pearls” as a living testimony to God's Love for us…

No comments:

Post a Comment