Monday, September 1, 2014

“Eating Humble Pie”

Humble is defined as “not proud: not thinking of yourself as better than other people : given or said in a way that shows you do not think you are better than other people.”  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humble

To eat humble pie, in common usage, is to apologize and face humiliation for a serious error. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humble_pie
The phrase “Eat humble pie” means to “Act submissively and apologetically, especially in admitting an error.” http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/eat-humble-pie.html
Eat Humble Pie: If you eat humble pie, you admit that you are in the wrong and behave apologetically. For example: Jim had to eat humble pie after we proved that what he'd said was wrong.  Note: Some politicians are so arrogant that they won't eat humble pie even when it's clear they've made a mistake. They just say they were "misinformed".
 https://www.englishclub.com/ref/esl/Idioms/British/eat_humble_pie_59.htm

I have had my fair share of “humble pie” to eat….

Cases in Point:
#1 –  My Daddy occasionally has bouts with gout. It occurs when an excess of uric acid forms calcium deposits on joint areas. His was primarily in his big toe. It renders him temporarily unable to walk and in excruciating pain. I immediately did research about gout, its symptoms and preventative measures. One of the most consistent recommendations is to “drink plenty of water.” I think this helps level the uric acid in your body and provide relief.
Out of my other three siblings, I probably was the most vocal about this to him. “Daddy, you have got to drink more water.” He simply did not drink very much.
A year later, I am faced with health challenges. My neurologist is adamant about my drinking plenty water, targeting up to 100 ozs per day. Since this would entail frequent trips to the restroom, I simply wasn’t drinking it.
One day, Daddy & Mama visit me. Daddy asks me, “Now, are you drinking plenty of water?” What can I say? I cannot lie to my Daddy. I quietly whisper, “Not as much as I should.” He just looks at me with a slight smile and says, “Uhm…weren’t you telling me that I needed to drink more water? Yet, you are not drinking it yourself? Uhm…”
Ouch….

#2 – Circa 1993. I was the Vice-President of the Metropolitan Nashville Jaycees. It was a community service organization. Our President had a somewhat laid-back personality and leadership style. I spent his entire term frustrated with him and how he was leading our chapter. I remember vividly saying to other officers, “He should be doing this…” or “If I were President, I would…” Other officers complained about him also and were favoring me. When his term ended, I was elected President. Guess what? The areas where I was weaker, he was stronger. The Office of President had much more responsibility than I had realized. Also, the officers that were criticizing him before were now criticizing me. With as much humility and regret that I could express, I apologized to him. He kindly mentored me throughout the remainder of my term.

#3 – I have been blessed to live 48 years with no health issues whatsoever. Therefore, this diagnosis of MS was devastating to me. I went from running around everywhere to needing a cane and occasionally, a walker.
In the past, I had compassion for older people who used these. However, I would give them a quick hug and run on my way. Many would often warn me, “You’d better slow down, Little Girl.” I would laugh, give them a quick smile, and run on my way.
They have now welcomed me into what they call “The Cane Club.” J

#4 – As I mentioned earlier, never having had any health challenges led me to being assumptive and judgmental. I can hear myself saying things like, “If that were me, I would…” or “People just bring illnesses upon themselves. They need to be more responsible…” I had proclaimed myself to be a “Health Fanatic” and could never imagine myself having any health issues. And yet, here I am…

The Bible highlights this:
James 4:10 (NKJV):Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.”
2 Chronicles 34:27 (NKJV): “because your heart was tender, and you humbled yourself before God when you heard His words against this place and against its inhabitants, and you humbled yourself before Me, and you tore your clothes and wept before Me, I also have heard you,” says the Lord.”
Proverbs 11:2(NKJV): “When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom.”
Proverbs 29:23 (NKJV): “A man’s pride will bring him low, But the humble in spirit will retain honor.”
Luke 14:11 (NKJV): “For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Memorable Quotes:
“Instead of putting others in their place, put yourself in their place.” - unknown
“Always use tasteful words – one day, you may have to eat them.” – unknown
“Welcome to ‘Karma Café.’ You will get served what you deserve.” – unknown
“Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less.” – unknown
“No matter how big your house is; how recent your car is; or how big your bank account is; our graves will always be the same size. Stay Humble.” – unknown
“True humility is staying teachable, no matter how much you already know.” – unknown
“Be Humble. You Could Be Wrong.” – unknown

So…I could probably lose a lot of (emotional) weight if I could limit eating a lot of Humble Pie.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment