Monday, February 2, 2015

“Wisdom Painfully-Acquired”

Wisdom is defined as “knowledge that is gained by having many experiences in life; the natural ability to understand things that most other people cannot understand; knowledge of what is proper or reasonable : good sense or judgment.” http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wisdom

Being a “native Middle Tennessean,” I have to say that I was utterly ashamed, disappointed and embarrassed to see our elite college, Vanderbilt University, portrayed in such a dismal, negative light in late 2014 on ABC’s “20/20” show. They did an in-depth show about the Vanderbilt Rape Trial. A total of four promising young football athletes became excessively drunk one night and sexually-assaulted an also-drunk and unconscious young woman, who was the girl friend or acquaintance of one of them. He then texted videos of the assault to his friends. Two were found guilty during their trial and can anticipate serving a minimum of 15-20 years in prison. The other two's trial date has not been set.

Our choices and decisions affect more than we may ever realize. They affect:
Our parents…
Our grandparents…
Our siblings…
Our relatives…
Our church…
The university…
The university’s Alumni…
The football team…
The city (Nashville)…
The region of the state (Middle Tennessee)…
The state (Tennessee)…
All males…
The United States……to name a few.

It even affected me!

I don’t even know them personally or their parents. I did not attend Vanderbilt University. But I know people who went there or work there.

Why am I so affected?

Circa 1982. My sisters and I (identical triplets) were the first in our immediate family to go to college. I was blessed with the ultimate filter of not wanting to see the look of horror and “profound disappointment” on their faces, if I did something out-of-line from how I was raised. Too many people were vested in my success. My college degree was not my own. It was my parents', my four grandparents', my family’s, and my community’s degree.

I wasn’t perfect. I did make some unwise choices and mistakes along the way. But this “ultimate filter” plus my faith always pulled me back in line. It helped draw me away from peer pressure. It didn’t matter what the “culture” was on campus or what was deemed “socially acceptable.” They didn’t have to look into my parents’ faces…I did.

“Never base your life decision on advice from people who don’t have to live with the results.”  

The Bible says:
Matthew 10:16 (NKJV):  “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.”
Proverbs 3:7 (NKJV): Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil.
Proverbs 3:35 (NKJV): The wise shall inherit glory, But shame shall be the legacy of fools.

Memorable Quotes:
“Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” – Dalai Lama
"What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create." ~ Buddha
"Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most." - Abraham Lincoln
“Show respect even to people who don’t deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.”  - Dave Willis

Lesson Learned: Your life is not just about you. Your decisions affect more than you may ever realize. The consequences can be devastating. Through our Experiences, we acquire wisdom...sometimes, at a high and painful cost...

No comments:

Post a Comment