Friday, February 20, 2015

“Cyberbullying” – My Own Personal Experience
Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others. The behavior is often repeated and habitual. One essential prerequisite is the perception, by the bully or by others, of an imbalance of social or physical power. Behaviors used to assert such domination can include verbal harassment or threat, physical assault or coercion, and such acts may be directed repeatedly towards particular targets. Rationalizations for such behavior sometimes include differences of social class, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, appearance, behavior, body language, personality, reputation, lineage, strength, size or ability. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullying
I never had to deal with “bullying” as a child. Being an identical triplet, no one wanted to threaten three identical people at once. Also, I had the protection of two big brothers and an older sister.
As my faith has grown, I am grounded in the understanding to WHOM I belong. Although words and rudeness sting, I forgive quickly, ask for God’s forgiveness & guidance daily, and remain focused on the goal – to rest in eternal peace with HIM one day.
I love Social Media. It extends my reach in my ability to pray for, encourage and stay in touch with others. I have been aware of the issue of “cyber bullying,” but never took it to heart or thought it was relevant to me.
“Cyberbullying" is the use of information technology to repeatedly harm or harass other people in a deliberate manner. According to U.S. Legal Definitions, Cyber-bullying could be limited to posting rumors or gossips about a person in the internet bringing about hatred in other’s minds; or it may go to the extent of personally identifying victims and publishing materials severely defaming and humiliating them.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberbullying
I recently, questioned and clarified a Facebook “friend’s” derogatory post. He came at me “with guns blazing.” He attacked my character, my integrity, my judgment and my place of worship (a church in which he left.) Although I apologized for his misperception of what I had said and he accepted my apology, he continued the attacks toward me. He even said that his other Facebook associates thought poorly of me.
I toiled during the night about it. I then woke up with this quote in mind: “Never waste time trying to explain yourself to someone committed to misunderstanding you.”
I then realized that“what others think about me is none of my business.”
Why would I care what other people think about me who I don’t know and, who obviously, don’t know me? This is gained through spiritual maturity and wisdom
I realized that I had a means of protecting myself and used it….I regretfully “unfriended” him. I was enduring persecution that I had the power to stop.
I am also reminded of Romans 8:28 (NKJV): “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”
Ironically, I am grateful for the experience:
  • I now know what “cyberbullying” is about.
  • I now understand the emotional pain it can cause.
  • I now understand how it can seem endless, even if you apologize.
  • I now understand why it is so important to know yourself.
  • I now am crystal-clear as to my TRUST and FAITH in the Lord.
  • I now am more empathetic when I hear of people being bullied.
  • I now pray deeply for the “bullies”…for only “hurt people hurt people.”

Genesis 50:20 (NKJV): “But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.”

It is wise for us to recognize that we all have the power to extend kindness and forgiveness, because one day, we are all going to need it…not only from other people, but more importantly, from the Lord…

No comments:

Post a Comment