Tuesday, June 23, 2015

“It’s My Journey…"

Having never had any health issues within 48 years of life is truly a blessing. However, being diagnosed with MS three years ago has taken me down a path that is rocky, unpredictable and VERY NEW to me. I travel it with wonder, empathy, humility and perseverance.

When I say that “my health journey is mine to travel alone,” this does not discount the many family and friends who help and are affected along the way.

I think of Diana Nyad, who successfully swam from Cuba to Florida. Although there were many people who helped with event promotion, set-up, logistics, medical care and encouragement, SHE is the one who had to be in the water, swimming alone. http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/02/world/americas/diana-nyad-cuba-florida-swim/

I also think of a marathon runner, running for a cause like MS.
There are so many people affected directly and indirectly.
Such as…
…those who helped you train.
…those on the side-lines, cheering you on.
…those who are constantly giving you water along the way.
…those who give you clean towels or who wash your soiled ones.
…those who donated toward your efforts.
…the policeman having to work overtime to block the streets and provide
    added security.
…the EMTs having to be available in case of any health emergencies.
…the people offering up prayers on your behalf.
…media personnel covering the event.

Yes…so many people are affected by your journey. We acknowledge them and greatly appreciate them.

But…YOU are the one having to run. YOU are the one that must suffer the aches and pains. Only YOU are running this race. You are the one…the only one…who has to do the work…JUST YOU…

The Bible says:
1 Corinthians 9:24 (NIV): 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
Hebrews 12:1(NKJV):  12 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
Philippians 3:13-14(NKJV):  13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
1 Corinthians 9:26 (NIV): 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.
Acts 20:24 (NIV):  24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.
Psalm 23:4 (KJV):  4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Memorable Quotes
"Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it." - John Maxwell
“I am learning to enjoy the journey, even when I don’t understand it.” – Mila Bron
“If you are going through Hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill
“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass;  it’s about learning to dance in the rain.”
“Sometimes the people around you will not understand your journey. They don’t need to.  It’s not for them.”
“God knows the Journey you need to take before you do.”

Final thought:  “It’s your road and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.” – Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment