Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Complaining = Whining
A very popular hymn that is often sung at church is I Won’t Complain.  Some of the lyrics are:
“I've had some good days;
I've had some hills to climb.
I've had some weary days ;
And some sleepless nights .
But when I look around ,
And I think things over.
All of my good days
Outweigh my bad days;
I won't complain.”
 “Complain” is defined as: to say or write that you are unhappy, sick, uncomfortable, etc., or that you do not like something; to say (something that expresses annoyance or unhappiness).  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complain
As Christians, this concept is often misinterpreted. Stating “the struggle is real” is not complaining. It is being honest. Pretending not to hurt when you do is not noble or honored by God. It is HOW YOU DEAL WITH IT that matters.
If you do NOTHING: don’t follow doctor’s recommendations; are not obedient; don’t rely on God; don’t encourage anyone else or “stay stuck in your story,” yet proclaim you trust God, it simply does not reconcile. 
Remember: "The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again, yet expecting different results." - Benjamin Franklin

I have often heard others "complain" about their health; their jobs; their spouses and kids; their finances; the President; the government...anything and everything...without taking any responsibility or offering any recommendations.
"Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called "WHINING.' " - Theodore Roosevelt

How can the world see God in you? How is God glorified in your complaining? HE isn't...
The Bible says:
James 2:26 (NKJV):  26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (NKJV):  9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Philippians 2:14 (NKJV): 14 Do all things without complaining and disputing,
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV):  18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:11-12 (NIV):  11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
James 1:2-4 (NIV):  2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Memorable Quotes:
“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.” – Maya Angelou
“Happiness comes when we stop complaining about the troubles we have and offer thanks for all the troubles we don't have.”
“When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation, change the situation, or accept it. All else is madness.”
“Don’t complain about things you are not willing to change.”
“Don’t complain about growing old, many, many people do not have that privilege.”
“Your life is a result of the choice you make...If you don't like your life, it is time to start making better choices.”
“Talk about your blessings more than you talk about your burdens.”
“Change: If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.”
“Don’t let your struggle become your identity.” – Ralston  Bowles
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” – Abraham Lincoln
“Don’t be upset by the results you didn’t get with the work you didn’t do."
“Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.” – Bob Marley
Moving forward, may we all try to allow God to USE us and our pain, grief, challenges and struggles to show His strength and infinite love for us. 
If I do this, then “I Won’t Complain…”

No comments:

Post a Comment