Friday, March 6, 2015

Understanding “My Grace Is Sufficient…”

One of the most profound scriptures in the Bible is:
2 Corinthians 12:9-11(NIV): 9 But he said to me,“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I have said this to others to encourage them and had it said to me.

I guess I didn’t truly understand it until I have been on this current health journey of managing Primary Progressive MS.

I recall one day trying to head out to the post office to mail some cards of encouragement and go to Noon Bible Study. I felt extra stiff, achy and slow. I remember quietly praying, “Lord, I am just trying to go serve you. Please help me here.”

The message I quietly heard from my “inner voice” was:“My grace is sufficient…”

The interpretation I received was: “You have just enough energy to go do what I need you to do. Ignore the messages from the world. I don’t need you to run a marathon or climb Mt. Everest. If only ‘a tad of energy’ is what you have, that’s all that is needed for you to serve me. My strength is revealed in your weakness.”

Oftentimes, we use excuses. We ignore this by our own internal insecurities such as "I'm too tired" or "It hurts too badly."

This firm statement from the Lord is difficult for us to embrace. We typically cannot hear it or believe it among the loud chatter of the world. We often measure our success by the world's standards instead of by God's standards.

We often hear messages such as:
  • “Push through”
  • “No pain, no gain”
  • “You have got to get it done”
  • “Just do it”
  • "It's too hard"

These messages don’t support this quiet reassurance by the Lord. It calls on your ability to TRUST GOD and Obey Him.

Memorable Quotes:
“Every weakness you have is an opportunity for God to show his strength in your life.”
“The weakest part of my life can become the strongest part of my faith.”
“Until God opens the next door for you, praise Him in the hallway.”
“When we have nothing left but God, we discover that God is enough.”
“The will of God will never lead you where the grace of God cannot keep you.”

The main thing for us to understand is that God gives us the energy, the time and the resources to do exactly what He wants us to do…to serve others and be obedient to Him. He said, “My grace is sufficient…”
Will you trust Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment