Friday, December 19, 2014

“It is Obvious…”

I am very observant and conscientious of people, companies and those whose mission is to be of service to others.

I can detect when an employee or service provider really cares about their own integrity and their quality of work.

I can also tell when it is “just a job,” or “just a pay check,” or if they are doing “just what is required” of them.

How?
  • Lack of attention to detail
  • No “Thank You” or “You are Welcome” given
  • No smile
  • They appear to just be “going through the motions”
  • One can sense an “empty spirit”
  • “Not-my-job” attitude
  • Rudeness
  • Apathy and Complacency
  • Indifference
  • Facial Expressions
  • Body Language

I know I feel it, and I believe others do as well.

Many people are not working their dream job and are working in a job they are not happy in, and often resent…but must do to get a pay check.

They seem to believe that they can just go through the mechanics of the job description and that the people they are serving will not notice…or they don’t care what their customers think.

I have experienced this in fast-food, drive-through windows. I recall my experience back in the late 1980’s of working the drive-through window while in college. I was very conscientious in ensuring that every order was correct and that the food was prepared as though for myself. I greeted each customer warmly and thanked them for their business. Now, in 2014…I can drive through as a customer, have the employee take my money and hand me my order with no expression, no thank you…nothing. All I can say is, “Wow,” and (SMH) shake my head in disappointment.

We all have to be more diligent in doing the best we can…period. Even if we are in a job we don’t like, do the best you can while you are there.

The Bible explains:
Colossians 3:23(NIV): Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,
Proverbs 16:3 (NIV): Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.
Matthew 5:16 (NKJV): Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Hebrews 10:24 (NKJV): And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,
Revelation 2:19 (NKJV):  “I know your works, love, service, faith, and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first.

Memorable Quotes
“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare composed poetry. He should sweep the streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause and say, ‘Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.’ ” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
“Never stop working your best because someone doesn’t give you credt.”
“Under-promise and Over-deliver.”
"Your work ethic, servant’s heart and attitude will set the tone for those partnering with your vision."  - Tiffany Cooper
"Sometimes the greatest thing to come out of all your hard work isn't what you GET for it, but what you BECOME for it." - Steve Maraboli
“Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your work with excellence” – Jessica Guidobono
“Take pride in everything you do from flipping burgers to building rockets. It will always show in the quality of your work.”
“People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. People will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
How you do your job or serve others is not only obvious to them…it is obvious to God…

No comments:

Post a Comment