Wednesday, December 17, 2014

“Every Expression of Kindness Matters…”

I am learning that EVERY act of kindness…every visit, card, floral arrangement, phone call, prayer, text, email…they all matter and have a profound effect on others.

Whether it is toward someone who is ill; someone grieving; or for someone celebrating, the effects are monumental.

It is only in the midst of my own health “storm” that I have become so acutely aware of this.

It is so easy to make excuses….I used to.

They would look something like:

“I wanted to come or call by but…”
…I had to work late.
…It is a little bit of a distance for me.
…My kids had a basketball game/dance recital/event.
…I had to work on my college term paper.
…Time just got away from me.
…I figured you already had a lot of visitors
 ...I just got too busy.
…I didn’t want to tire you out.

Another one that I have been guilty of is: "Please CALL me if you need anything."

NEWS ALERT: People ill or grieving ALWAYS need something. I know that for me, I am so thankful to still be alive, that my needs seem minimal and my gratitude is profound. I reflect on this scripture -Philippians 4:11-13 (NIV): "11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

However, a few suggestions could be cards, books, scented items, flowers...whatever you would like or need if you were in their shoes.

I am humbled by this quote: “People with good intentions make promises but people with good character keep them."

The Bible encourages us to help each other.
Ephesians 4:32 (KJV): And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Philippians 2:4 (NKJV): Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Matthew 5:16 (NKJV): Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Romans 15:1(NIV): We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Romans 12:13 (NIV): Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Memorable Quotes:
“We all can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” – Ronald Regan
“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” – Oscar Wilde
“People will forget what you said; People will forget what you did; People will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
“You may only be one person to the word, but you may also be the world to one person.” – Audrey Hepburn
“To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.” – Gandhi

Take a moment out of your day to extend kindness to someone. You may never visibly see the effect because it is embraced and deeply planted in the receiver’s heart…

No comments:

Post a Comment