Wednesday, December 10, 2014

“Caring with Consistency”

It is interesting how people will totally overwhelm you when someone dies…flowers, food, calls, cards, visits, the funeral, the repass…but then dwindle and eventually disappear a week later.

The heartache, grief and despair still remain…the caring and support disappear.

Navigating my own health “storm” has revealed this to me, which may explain why I refused to mention my diagnosis for about 1 ½ years. I needed to “wrap my own mind around it” and prepare myself emotionally.

I was too fragile to handle the initial onslaught of inquiries, concern and support – and then dismissal… as if I had never told you or you have become bored and moved on…

I have experienced people who I thought supported me, just “abandon me.” Guess what? My health challenge hasn’t been “healed” and gone away. The need for care and support hasn’t gone away. It’s just that…you have…

The words of Bryan McKnight’s love song ring true: “Do I ever cross your mind, Anytime?”

How do you “care consistently?”
  • Even if only once a month – email, call, send cards, text, etc,
  • Call, visit, help anyway you can
  • Putting someone’s walker in their car; holding the door or elevator; checking their mailbox
  • Praying for them
  • Encouragement

The Bible guides us:
1 Peter 5:7 (NKJV): Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
Galatians 6:2 (NKJV): Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV): Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV): And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

Memorable Quotes:
“People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did.  People will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
“Only those who care about you can hear you when you're quiet.”      
“Be someone’s sunshine when their skies are grey.”
"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -Leo Buscaglia
“Nobody is ever too busy. If they care, they will make time.”
“Sometimes we need someone to simply be there... not to say anything or fix anything, but to let us know they're on our side, and that they care for us.”
“How you make others feel about themselves says a lot about you.”
“To the world, you may be one person; but to one person, you may be the world.” – Dr. Seuss

Make a conscious effort to be caring and concerned about others every day. You will, in the future, need someone to return the kindness to you…

No comments:

Post a Comment