Wednesday, November 19, 2014

“Competence” Builds “Confidence”

Competence is defined as “the ability to do something well.” http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/competence
Confidence is “a feeling or belief that you can do something well or succeed at something.” http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/confidence

We are living in a current culture of avoiding failure at all costs. Unfortunately, we have ingrained this so passionately with our children that parents are often referred to as “helicopter parents.”

An article titled, “What Is Helicopter Parenting?” by Kate Bayless explores this issue. Helicopter parenting refers to "a style of parents who are over focused on their children," says Carolyn Daitch, Ph.D. "They typically take too much responsibility for their children's experiences and, specifically, their successes or failures."  Many helicopter parents start off with good intentions. "The problem is that, once parenting becomes governed by fear and decisions based on what might happen, it is hard to keep in mind all the things kids learn when we are not right next to them or guiding each step," Dr. Gilboa explains. "Failure and challenges teach kids new skills, and, most important, teach kids that they can handle failure and challenges." http://www.parents.com/parenting/better-parenting/what-is-helicopter-parenting/

I recall this phrase used by my minster in a sermon one Sunday. He explained that the more we practice at something, the more competence we build. The more competence we build, the more confidence we grow in our ability to do it well.

This is also applicable in our “spiritual journey.” The more competent we become in studying God’ Word and obeying Him, the more confident we become in trusting Him and having faith in His promises.

The Bible says:
Colossians 3:23 (NKJV): And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men,
1 Corinthians 15:58 (NKJV): Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.
Romans 8:28 (NKJV): And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
2 Timothy 4:7 (NKJV): I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
James 1:2-4 (NIV):  2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Philippians 4:13 (NIV): I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV): Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Powerful Quotes:
“I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something.  But I can’t accept not trying.” – Michael Jordan
“No one likes to be frustrated or fail, but every child needs to confront frustration and failure – to learn to step back, to reassess, and to try again and again – to develop grit.” – Thomas Hoerr and Walter McKenzie
‘I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to make the game-winning shot, and I missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan, NBA Basketball icon
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”  - Benjamin Franklin
“It is wise to keep in mind that neither success or failure is permanent.” – Roger Babson
 “Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” – Henry Ford
"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill
“All things are difficult before they are easy.” – Thomas Fuller

We should all strive to increase our “competence” so that it will increase our “confidence” in our professional, emotional and spiritual lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment