Friday, January 23, 2015

“Adjusting Our Expectations”

I have often heard myself and other people say:
“He should have known better.”
“She ought to know not to do that”

Expectation is “a belief that something will happen or is likely to happen; a feeling or belief about how successful, good, etc., someone or something will be; the act or state of expecting :  anticipation; something expected” http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/expectation

Many of us have extremely high expectations of others and of life. In many instances, they are so high that we can’t even reach them ourselves.

“You can't judge others by their actions and judge yourself by your intentions.” – Grant Taylor in movie Facing The Giants

We may need to adjust our expectations so they are more realistic. A few ways include:
      
RAISE expectations for children and adults.

Case in Point
I clearly recall in kindergarten my teacher asked our class what we wanted to be when we grew up. I remember telling my teacher, “All I know is that Mommy & Daddy say we are going to be in the Top Ten of our HS Senior Class and that we are going to college. I am not sure what that means…”
My sisters and I ranked #6, 7 & 8 in our Senior Class, and we all have our Bachelor’s and Masters Degrees.

“Children will rise to the expectations you set for them.” – Janette McGowen

“Treat a man as he is and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he can and should be and he will become as he can and should be.” ― Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

LOWER expectations for others to think like you think or behave as you behave.

I now have less stress by doing this. Before, I would get stressed out when people did not live up to my expectations.  Now, when people do, that’s great! When they don’t, I am disappointed, but not devastated. I am shocked, but not surprised.

“Don’t blame people for disappointing you, blame yourself for expecting too much from them.”

“If you expect nothing from anybody, you’re never disappointed.”  ― Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

The best plan is to make sure our expectations are less aligned with the world’s and more aligned with God’s.

The Bible discusses expectations:
Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV):  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Matthew 24:35 (NIV): Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Philippians 4:19 (NIV): And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:28 (NIV):  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.
Matthew 7:7-8 (NIV):  “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

Powerful Quotes:
 “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” – Bruce Lee
“Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.” ― Gautama Buddha
“An attitude of positive expectation is the mark of the superior personality.” ― Brian Tracy
“I hope you do not let anyone else's expectations direct the course of your life.” ― Julianne Donaldson, Edenbrooke
 “Set the standard! Stop expecting others to show you love, acceptance, commitment, & respect when you don't even show that to yourself.” ― Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience
“Expectations are dangerous when they are both too high and unformed.” ― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
“Expect Nothing.  Appreciate everything.”

Expectations can be very evil and can also be very good.  I hope you will continue to expect great things from God, especially everlasting life in Heaven and to be in the presence of Jesus for all of eternity! http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/what-does-the-bible-say-about-expectations-a-christian-study/

No comments:

Post a Comment