Monday, January 5, 2015

 “You’ve Actually Got To Fly the Plane…”

I experienced a flare up of my MS. (Got diagnosed in April 2012) It resulted in a 5-day hospital stay and a 10-day inpatient aggressive rehab stay for occupational and physical therapy. I received 3 hours of therapy per day.

I have been blessed to NEVER have been ill before, in 48 out of my 50 years of life. All of this continues to be a new, yet very humbling experience for me.

One day, as I was working with my Occupational Therapist (Lewis), I shared with him what I resented most about this MS.  Before this diagnosis, I could go about life as I pleased. Now…I have to be very strategic, detailed and logistical about EVERY thing I do.

Case in Point:  “I am going to the grocery store.”
  •         How many steps to my car?
  •         Which one has the easiest access and mobility carts?
  •         Which has the best customer service? (will bring my bags to the car and return  cart to the store)
  •        How many bags can I manage when I arrive home?

His response to me was profound: He said:
“Most of us live our lives in “auto pilot”. You are now at a stage in life that “you have to actually fly the plane.”

I now realize that so many people do not pay attention at all to what they are thinking, saying, eating or doing.

It is amazing, when you actually have to grab the steering levers, monitor the control panel and manually & consciously navigate your life.

An article on the blog Tiny Buddha  titled  “ How to Be Fully Awake Instead of Living on Autopilot”  by Loran Hills shares a few tips:

Waking up in the morning and taking off in a flurry of activity after a cup of coffee is not equivalent to being completely awake. It takes practice to calm down, slow down, and become more aware. As creatures of habit, we all tend to move through the day on automatic, sticking to a schedule and a plan. Have you ever arrived at work without quite knowing how you got there? Have you eaten your lunch at your desk and not even tasted it?

What kinds of things can you practice to become more fully alive, more open, and calmer?
1. Sit in stillness.
2. Go outside and feel the wind on your face, smell the fresh air, and connect with nature.
3. Connect with another person, smile, and make eye contact.
4. If you have pets, connect with them through touch.
5. Tune in to your body, let it move, and feed it well.
6. Breathe deeply. .
7. Write, draw, paint, journal, or listen to music.
8. Take pictures with your phone or camera.
9. Give love to yourself and others.
10. Accept things the way they are.

You have to be willing to change before you can take action. If you are willing to fly out of the nest rather than be thrown out, you will be embracing spaciousness. You will experience freedom. http://tinybuddha.com/blog/how-to-be-fully-awake-instead-of-living-on-autopilot/

The Bible says:
James 2:17 (NKJV): Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
Matthew 5:10  (NKJV): Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Hebrews 12:1 (NKJV):  Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Memorable Quotes:
 “A pattern of behavior can become so habitual that one barely notices anymore what it prompts one to do. One feels automatically, thinks automatically and acts automatically.” - ~ Martine Batchelor
“Don’t complain about the results you are not getting by the work you are not doing.”
“I am grateful for the opportunity to experience life.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
“Very often, human beings are living like on autopilot, reacting automatically with what happens. What interests me about the life of an explorer is you are in the unknown; you are out of your habits.” - Bertrand Piccard
"We can’t become what we need to be by remaining who we are.” – Oprah Winfrey
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.” – Charles Darwin

So, as challenging as this MS is, it has actually been a blessing. It has forced me to be still; wake up; pay attention; be empathetic; be present and to fully rely on God…
Are you living on “autopilot” or are you actually “flying the plane” of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment