Thursday, December 10, 2015

“I’ll Pray for You”…Is That It?

It is amazing how quickly we respond to people during death, illness or unfavorable outcomes in life with:

“I Will Pray For You.”

However, it appears that this is where it ends. No visits. No texts. No calls. No cards. No expressions of assistance. NOTHING.

As I continue to manage health issues, this statement is becoming vivid for me. I appreciate the prayers. Why even James 5:16 (NKJV) says: “The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.”

I analyze myself about this because I have been very guilty of it in the past…before my own health challenges.

I DID pray… But did I do anything more beyond that?  No, I sadly admit. But I sure did put two “gold stars” on my HEAVEN-BOUND passport. I felt so proud of doing my "Christian Duty." 

Now that I find myself on the other end of the spectrum, I know that I could have done more….and simply didn’t.

I reflect on all of my excuses:
“I’m so busy.” 
“My job and family life are so hectic.”
“I don’t want to bother them.”
“They probably are overwhelmed with visitors and family.”
“I am sure the church is meeting their needs.”

Currently, I am more deliberate about sending cards, emails or texts, calls as well as praying more intensely for others.

I now live by this quote:
“Your greatest test is when you are able to bless someone else while you are going through your own storm.”

It doesn’t minimize my “storm,” but it does help me keep mine in prospective.

The Bible says:
Colossians 4:2 (NIV):
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NKJV):
Pray without ceasing,
Ephesians 6:18 (NKJV):
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

Memorable Quotes:
Sometimes saying, "I will pray for you" isn't enough. Sometimes we need to be the hands and feet of Jesus.
"Get on your knees and pray then get on your feet and work."- Gordon B. Hinckley
“Don’t ask God to guide your steps if you are not willing to move your feet.”
“I’ll pray for you. Because it is so much easier than actually doing anything for you, but still makes me feel like a good person.” - unknown
“YOU need to take action if you want things to change. Praying without action is not productive.”
“You pray for the hungry and then you feed them. This is how prayer works.” – Pope Francis
"In your morning prayers each day, ask Heavenly Father to guide you to recognize an opportunity to serve one of His precious children." - M Russell Ballard
“Often the answer to our prayer does not come while we are on our knees, but while we are on our feet serving the Lord and serving those around us.” - Dieter F. Uchtdorf
“Actions trump Good Intentions.” – Janette McGowen
“Action speaks louder than prayer.”
“A single act of kindness shown towards another is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.”
“Pray until something happens. Prayer is not passive. It is the hardest work we will ever do.”
“We must not only say our prayers; we must also live them."

As we continue to continue to pray deeply and fervently for each other, we should all strive to “walk what we pray.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment