Friday, November 13, 2015

“I’m a Very Private Person…”

In the past, I often described myself as this.

Private is defined as: “not known by the public or by other people;   not known or intended to be known publicly : secret; preferring to keep personal affairs to oneself : valuing privacy highly; unsuitable for public use or display”  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/private

The website Rervso explores this:
Your “Private Life” is that part of your life that is concerned with your personal relationships and activities, rather than with your work or business.  <I've always kept my private and professional life separate..>.    

Your “Private Thoughts or Feelings” are ones that you do not talk about to other people.  <We all felt as if we were intruding on his private grief. : Privately, she worries about whether she's really good enough... >   

If you describe someone as a “private person,” you mean that they are very quiet by nature and do not reveal their thoughts and feelings to other people.  <John was an intensely private individual.>    

If you do something “In Private,” you do it without other people being present, often because it is something that you want to keep secret.  <Some of what we're talking about might better be discussed in private.> http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-cobuild/private%20person

Several responses on the site Askville by Amazon are:
Missb524: I used to very open about things in my younger years, I didn't like keeping anything to myself, so I said a lot, sometimes I think too much! I guess it was because I came from a very private household, so I wanted to be different, I liked talking and sharing.  But because of this, I found myself in a lot of trouble.  And sometimes I was then bullied. Now that I am older, I've learnt from this.
Snow Leopard:  My years of legal experience have pretty well taught me to be private and to keep things to myself. If I establish a relationship of trust with someone, I tend to open up a lot with respect to myself, but those relationships are relatively rare for me. Of course, what I know about clients is always kept quiet. I used to be a much more open, but life has taught me to be guarded.
Bear-Lo: I definitely consider myself a private person.  I can and will share if I feel there's a need or a reason.  Most of the time, it's none of anyone else's business what's going on with me, my family or where I'm going, etc.    http://askville.amazon.com/private-person/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=15754677

A celebrity says:
“I am a very private person. No one ever knows anything about me as I don't think it is necessary. I tell people as much as I want them to know about me.” - Priyanka Chopra, actress in ABC’s  TV series “Quantico”

The Bible shares times when it is wise to be private:
Matthew 6:1-7 (NKJV):  “Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. 3 But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.
The Model Prayer
5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly

The question is:
How can we be “private,” yet be obedient to God’s Will?

The Bible says:
Matthew 5:14-16 (NKJV): 14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Romans 12:13 (KJV):  Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
Matthew 10:16 (NKJV):  16 “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

Memorable Quotes
 “Nothing good ever comes with too many people knowing your business. Being private and low-key is the best way to be.”
“Everything you do doesn’t need to be seen or heard.”
“Be the same person Privately, Publically  and Personally.” – Judah Smith
“Every person has two sides to them. One they let the world see and one they keep to themselves.”
“Revealing too much leaves you with nothing.”
“Keep your personal life personal.”
“Sometimes not telling people anything is a good thing.”
“Relationships last longer when nobody knows your business.”
"What you do in secret is on public display before God."

Wisdom must prevail. In the words of my mentor: “Don’t tell everything that you know.”

Instead of living our lives “out loud” either verbally or on Social Media, it may serve us well to be quiet and be still. God wants a “personal” relationship with you…and you alone. The more you commit to Him privately, the more He will bless you publicly…

No comments:

Post a Comment