Tuesday, July 21, 2015

“I Know You Are Busy…”

I did a post several months ago called “Removing the Filters.”  It discussed my former boss’s reprimand to me when he would ask about my lack of follow up with a prospective client. I would say, “He just took on this new role. He is probably too busy to move forward at this time.” My boss would inquire, “How do you know? Did you ask him?”  I had to reply, “No…I just assumed…”

Even recently, I had given a friend some advice. She acted on it with exciting results. She emailed me saying, “I know you are busy, but I just had to tell you what happened.” I replied back, “Too Busy? Are you kidding me? This is great news!”

Oftentimes, the most beautiful women – models, celebrities and beauty queens – are the loneliest. Men ASSUME they are already taken and do not ask them out.

It made me reflect on how often I do this. It usually sounds like:
  • “I know you must have a busy schedule.”
  • “I know you are dealing with your own issues and probably don’t have time for mine.”
  • “I know you must be too busy as a wife and working Mom of three kids…”
  • “I know I’m probably bothering you…”
  • “I hate to inconvenience you…”
  • “I know your plate must be too full to talk with me.”

I think I say this to soften the blow of rejection. When, actually, I am missing out on huge blessings. The truth is YOU REALLY DON’T KNOW…because I haven’t told you. If I were too busy, I would either tell you or not respond immediately to voice-mails, emails or texts.

We also make this mistake with God. We assume that, since God has 7.6 billion people on the planet to look after, He probably doesn’t have time for “little ole me.” However, this assumption only minimizes God.

“Don’t tell God how big your problems are; Tell your problems how big God is.”

On the blog Explore God, Andy Ramos notes this in his post: “How Big Is God?”
According to Jewish and Christian beliefs, the most incredible thing about the Creator is that he cares about us, the people he created—you and me. He didn’t craft the universe in order to make us feel insignificant. He did it to display his power and show us his infinite love.
He is a God powerful enough to create worlds, yet detailed and thoughtful enough to knit us each together in our mothers’ wombs. (Psalms 19:13). He is intimately involved in even the tiniest aspect of creating life.
So how big is God, exactly? He is so huge that he is not bound by time or space, not needing or wanting for anything, and capable of creating our entire universe. Yet he is personal enough to have created us in his own image.(Genesis 1:27)  Biblical literature teaches that we are fearfully and wonderfully made under God’s watchful care,(Psalms 139:14) that God even knows the number of hairs on each head.(Luke 12:7) http://www.exploregod.com/how-big-is-god

The Bible says:
Genesis 1:1(NKJV):  In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Exodus 15:18 (NKJV):  “The Lord shall reign forever and ever.”
2 Peter 3:8 (NKJV):  But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Memorable Quotes
Before you assume, try this crazy method called “asking.”
“Never explain yourself. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it.”
“Never assume that you're stuck with the way things are. Life changes every single moment and so can you.”
“Don’t assume you know me by what you heard. I grow daily. Your messenger might have outdated information.”
“Our unknown future is in the hands of the all-knowing God.”
 “God’s ability is not limited by man’s ability to understand.”  

We should consider assuming less and trusting God more…

No comments:

Post a Comment